Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Dining critic candidate No. 24

THE OMELETTE PARLOR


Shout it from the rooftops: The Omelette Parlor is Colorado Spring’s best breakfast place. Not a morning person? Cold and gray outside? Never you mind. It’s always summer on the farm here and the hens lay golden eggs—the better to make perfect omelettes, of course. (And skillets, pancakes, and Belgian waffles.)

Consistently voted “Best Breakfast”, “Best Omelette”, and “Best Hot Cakes” by the readers of both the Independent and the Gazette, the O.P. delivers. Meet the stars of the omelette show:


The Godfather: Italian sausage, green peppers, onions, mozzarella, marinara

The Great Chili Cook Off!: cheddar cheese, pork green chili

11-Miles or Almost: “almost” crab, avocado, Monterey Jack


Others include W.J Palmer, Founder; Manitou Springs V.F.D.; and I quote, NO MEADOW MUFFINS HERE (diced green chilies and cheddar, with sour cream on the side). Humor and a local history lesson wrapped in a breakfast treat Julia Child would have endorsed? Hallelujah, I love homecookin’.

Served with every breakfast entrée is a whole-wheat English muffin, fruit, and country-style potato medallions that taste like they were fried up in Grandma’s big black skillet, perhaps by Grandma herself.

The menu also boasts some glorious pancakes that arrive fluffy, hot, and thirsty for syrup, and a made-from-scratch Belgian Wonder Wa-full you might have to share with yourself later on, for lunch. And if you can’t make it happen on your first visit, do come back to try the skillets, especially if you’re in a lumberjack competition afterwards. With options of chorizo sausage, red peppers, rib-eye steak, green chili, and various cheeses, Mount Elbert, Alamo, and Cowboy Hall-of-Fame, among others, are hearty, colorful, and HUGE.

Breakfast is served all day, but traditional lunch offerings abound. Sandwiches piled deliciously with fresh veggies and meats, with nicknames like Kissing Camel and The Bronco, and salads packed with all sorts of creative goodies—snowpeas, guacamole, or hot bacon dressing—are good choices. There’s also homemade soup and green chili by the cup or bowl

Skeptics will, of course, want to coax from me a negative word about this place, but I can’t give it to them. The service is great, the coffee is hot, there are murals on the wall depicting the secret lives of hens and roosters, and the price is right. Allow me to cast my vote into the big Colorado Springs hat and concur: The Omelette Parlor rocks.



900 East Fillmore Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80907

719.633.7770

www.co-spgs-omeletteparlor.com


Hours:

Open Daily, 6am – 2pm


Estimated cost per person: $6 – $10.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Omelette Parlor! I love that place and this review.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this ia a very clear and descriptive review. I don't think I have been to the Omelette Parlor in 15 years, but reading this makes me want to go back right away. The details literally made my mouth water! I'd like to read from this writer again.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am someone who normally doesn't get excited about breakfast type food, but enjoyed the way this article describes the food. Think I'll try this restaurant.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is good writing, and not sarcastic like some others I read.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finaly. Some one who isn't longwinded or snobby. I hope you choose 24.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well writen. I've been in the mood for some good breakfast,this sounds like the place.

Most the other blogs make me want to eat at home. Why so longwinded?

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written, but my experience at the Omelette Parlor has been quite different. I have visited the Omelette Parlor 3 times in the last 6 months. Each time my food has been barely warm. The bacon has obiviously been sitting. My waffles are cold. Need I continue. Sorry. With so many great breakfast choices in town, I'll take my $$ elsewhere.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This review covered all bases of a good review, but did so in an advertising sort of way. It felt impersonal and bland, and the lack of anything that could be improved makes it more of a shill than a review.

Although you may think this harsh, the fact is that a critic can always help an establishment to improve. Your commentary is fit to line the walls around their cash register, not to inform the public.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They selected the Omelette Parlor as their job application for the restaurant critic job. Seems like an odd choice and I am afraid of what they might review every week. Is the Country Buffet next?

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good food doesn't have to be hoity-toity, you know. I thought this was a really good review. Maybe a little too upbeat but I'm sure that could be taught. The talent for writing is there.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment. People are actually reading this reviewer's writing b/c it's holding our attention. They (#24)should learn to be more critical, maybe. A good editor could easily draw that out. Right?

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful review. that's that. I think it's funny how people's panties get in a wad about it! At the very least, this one should go on to round 2.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The review was to goodie goodie, but what made me sick was all his friends writing comments on his behalf. A new review pops up and immediately 6 comments saying he should win, please. Your writing should speak for itself. Don't gush and don't recruit.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright. I'm not sure how to verify this, but I don't know the guy who wrote this. But I like the review. Like to read more. The commenter before was kind of presumptuous, I think.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,its me again. Look I'm posting another comment! And no one recruited me to do it! I just wanna get in on the action. Go 24.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to your review, I just had the best breakfast I've ever had! I love the Omelette Parlor!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on the reviews of this critique, it looks as if this critic will have plenty of friends to turn to for support in the event he or she doesn't get picked.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bad article but it seemed a bit rushed. Seems like there are some other important details that could add to the article.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to the Omelet Parlor because its independent and reasonably priced. The food is nice on a good day, rushed and overcooked on others. I am surprised by all your oohs an ahhs because the only food description you mentioned was "grandmas fried potatoes". Did you eat anything else? I don't think we want to hear what its been voted, we'll read that in the 'Best Of' or an ad, tell us about your dining experience

8:07 PM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

FYI. "submission reviewer" is not associated with the Gazette.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home