Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Henri's counterpoint

Last week, we ran a rave review of Henri's by Jorge.

A few days later, we received this negative Henri's experience....





My husband and I stopped going to Henri’s some time ago due to the poor service, lack of cleanliness of the restaurant and poor food quality. I was pleased to see an article on Henri’s Reborn in the Friday Go of the Gazette. My husband, adult daughter and myself showed up at Henri’s at 7:40 p.m. on Saturday, 13 Oct. There was no hostess to be seen and two other parties waiting to be seated. One employee walked by one of the other parties and stated that a hostess would be out soon to seat them.


About 5 minutes passed and finally a hostess came by and said to us “sorry we are closed.” My daughter stated that another worker had come by and said to one of the other parties that they would be seated soon. The hostess replied very curtly “I am the hostess and I am telling you that we are closed.” We did not argue and promptly left. It was 7:50 p.m. when we drove away from the restaurant. Hours of business listed in the Gazette article were Monday thru Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.


As you would expect, it will be a long time again before I step foot in Henri’s.








Susan Matejka

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry the previous poster had such a bad experience at Henri's (no experience, really). I certainly hope she will give Jorge another try; she will be well rewarded.

I say this not as a shill, but as someone who has gladly commuted to Pueblo regularly for the last five years to enjoy Jorge's great Mexican food.

I grant that the new store is suffering from some service problems; the wait staff seems largely to be new to the industry. Personally, I try never to visit a new restaurant until it's been in business at least six months. And to be honest, the service in Pueblo has never been that great either.

But the food is the real attraction, and that seems to have been transplanted completely from Pueblo. My impression is that the prices may be just a touch higher, and what's up with charging for chips and salsa? But overall, it's the same great Jorge's experience, even to the Mexican League futbol jerseys on the backwall of the bar.
We had been begging Jorge to open in the Spring so we wouldn't have to commute. If only he had picked up the old El Nopal site over on Weld Street.

By the way, the manager told me that the Henri's by Jorge name will change to just Jorge's; it's a contractual matter. Also, there are plans to remodel, including an outdoor patio/balcony.

Now if I can just get him to try putting chicharrones in the chilis relleno.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also ate at Henry's last Saturday. I got there at 1 pm, sat at a table right in the window with a view of Old Colorado City. I think I was waited on my the manager. Service was excellent. Food was great (I had been driving to Jorge's in Pueblo as well) and my experience was very pleasant. In fact, the food came out faster and the service was better than my last trip to Jorge's in Pueblo! The only gripe I had was when I first arrived, the music was blaring so loudly I could hardly talk to my lunch companion. The staff turned it down a few minutes later.
Overall, I'd go back soon.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home