Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dining critic candidate No. 12

Uwe’s German Restaurant


My husband and I have a tradition of eating at Uwe’s each Saturday, so my mouth begins to water about Thursday as I anticipate the good food. By now, they know us well and wave us to our table in the back room without fanfare. They also chat with us, and we catch up with the week’s activities (lack of snow, lots of snow, driving conditions). Large, tall steins of iced tea appear quickly, and we are ready to order without looking at the menu. My husband always has the fish special while I have the jagersnitzel. He reports that the fish tastes fresh and has a light batter surrounding it. My portion of jagersnitzel is two pork pieces, both the size of a salad plate. The meat is breaded and fried and comes with a mushroom gravy on top. The pork is always tender and can be cut with a fork. Then, both of us have to choose our sides. He chooses spatzel regularly along with red cabbage. I vacillate between those two choices or sauerkraut and fresh vegetables. All are delicious, no matter what choice is made. Oh, did I mention the fresh bread and butter that comes before the meal. Also, to skip dessert is a mistake. The warm apple strudel, with whipping cream on top, is wonderful. The pastry is flakey and the apples are sweet. Finally, the meal is complete, and we can wait another week to assuage our appetite and enjoy a good, home-cooked German meal.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although the writer knows the restaurant well, the reader does not. More attention needs to be paid to what is available, the pricing, and the location of the restaurant. No decision can be made from reading this review.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The previous commentor was well stated. Additonally, since I have never been to this restaurant can I expect the same friendly service?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

FYI. "submission reviewer" is not associated with the Gazette.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home