Tuesday, May 08, 2007

NO SOUP FOR YOU!


I tried to go to the Soup Man for lunch yesterday. The restaurant that inspired the "Seinfeld" "Soup Nazi" episode has been expanded into a national chain, and the soup fans are lining up.

I arrived just before noon and the line stretched back farther than I could see. With limited seating, I saw my chances of getting soup and a place to eat it as being slim.

No soup for me!

But I snuck back on the way home and picked up a bunch of soup for the family, and only encounted one Nazi-like experience. I began to order off the menu board, but was (gently) told that I should order off the actual pots, which are things they had in stock, so to speak.

I went for chili, black bean, split pea and ham and chicken with vegetables.

Oh, momma! Now, I know why Elaine had that look of ecstasy on her face when she tried the soup. Each had such wonderful flavors and different personalities.

I took them home and we all took turns sampling the different soups. I'll be back. I just hope I'm holding my tray in the right position when I get to the checkout.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Speaking of soup... just got around to reading your "Pho-One-One" article about the pho at House of Saigon. Is there a similar dish at Saigon Cafe downtown? If so, is it as good? And is there a place up on the north end of town that has this that's worth trying?

I've been looking (though obviously not very hard) for this dish since "experiencing" it in - of all places - Nashville, TN, a year ago. THANK YOU for putting a name to the plate, 'cuz I could not for the life of me remember what it was called.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

Yes, they do have pho at Saigon Cafe... and up north you'll find the best Vietnamese place in town: Lemongrass Cafe on north Academy across from Star Bucks, just south of Woodmen.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the soup man on Thursday. I will agree that the soup is delicious. I did get a soup/sandwich combo and I must say I was completely disappointed with the sandwich. I ordered the fresh mozzarella/tomato/basil on a french baguette. It was prepackaged. I could have gotton a better sandwich at 7 eleven. My husband ordered the grilled chicken. That looked a little better. Overall, I would say stick to the soup. I did feel it was a little overpriced.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

I've heard the salads at soup man also fall below par.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the Soup Man located?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

On Tejon, across from The Ritz (where Cunningham's used to be)

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home