Tuesday, April 10, 2007

New sushi place

A new sushi joint Yoo Mae has opened at 21 E. Kiowa St., taking the place of what had been a tiny Japanese place and a bakery.

I checked it out this weekend, and it was very good. A simple, clean look with lots of bamboo, and JJ from Fujiyama behind the sushi bar.

I tried the Dragon Roll and a bunch of others. The service was very friendly and prompt. The fish was fresh and delicious.

The only issue I had was the seaweed. It was a bit chewy and the rolls tended to fall apart as my teeth pulled away from them. (I know you're supposed to just pop the whole thing in your mouth, but some of these new rolls are just too big.)

Anyway, I think Yoo Mae will be a contender on the downtown scene.

That location, by the way, was home to one of my favorite Asian restaurants: Singapore Sate. Anybody else remember that place?

The chow fun, a huge noodle dish, was phenomenal.

One day I was eating at Singapore Sate and there was some kind of fish and noodle special. I ordered it, and the waitress told me, "I don't think you'll like it."

She said non-Asians find it too pungent. I considered myself more of an adventurous diner than most, so ignored the suggestion. ... and pushed the plate aside after one bite.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

off the subject, how can one post a new blog on the site?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

You can e-mail to me at warren.epstein@gazette.com

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for 4/13 Tomo Sushi 2/cents article.

Everything Glen wrote was exactly what I experienced. I didn't know anything about Korean ownership, etc. However, Mr. Ra is too defensive and had better be more introspective about what it takes to run a business in these times. He was available at the front door and did nothing to correct MY situation. I don't care how or what Glen said right or wrong. I just care that I received poor service, terrible food, and bad atmosphere. Looking forward to trying new recommendations on your site. Will NEVER go to or recommend to out of towners to go to TOMO

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home