Friday, January 11, 2008

Too many tacos

Another interesting critique from a reader:

Irene ONeal [Katalou42@msn.com]

You seem like the only person on the list that I can write to, since my comment pertains to something in the GO section. I have a complaint about the new restaurant critic, Nathaniel Glen. First of all, almost every week he has some little hole-in-the-wall joint that gets only two stars and a pretty bad review. Also, I have noticed lately that most of these places are Mexican or taco joints that I have never heard of. That might be okay once in a while, but I can't remember when he last featured a decent or appealing restaurant. It seems he seeks out these little joints for some reason, that are mostly no good. In years past, we used to hear about some really nice upscale places that got excellent reviews. This was great, since we had never tried or heard of them, and they turned out to be places we really love. I'm not saying at all, that every week should feature a high-end, expensive restaurant. But once in a while would be nice, and middle of the road would also be nice once in a while! I'm getting tired of the taco joints week after week!



Could you write me back and let me know that you at least got this and what you think. Thank you.



Irene O'Neal

WARREN: Good point. We'll do more upscale (as our budget allows.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Where the hades is Brent Beavers?
I need a decent meal He has to be working somewhere!
Email me at bob_curtis@hotmail.com

3:28 PM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

He's at Village at Skyline retirement home.. and talking about going to South America, I think.

I miss Sencha.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

HERE'S A RESPONSE FROM NATE: Thanks for your note. It may seem like we review a lot of hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints, but looking back, we've only reviewed two since August (unless you count La'au's, which is more yuppie than Mexican.) In that time we've also done barbecue, Peruvian, Cuban, Sushi, and shee shee places like the Black Bear and The Warehouse.



As for reviewing more nice places, and less strip mallplaces, believe me, as the reviewer, I would be more than happy to go to restaurants like The Summit or Blue Vervain week after week, but there are a lot more modestly priced restaurants in town, and part of our job is to tell you which ones are really worth a trip.



Stay tuned, we have some exciting things coming up.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of taco places, Nate's review of La Unica seems compares it to tacquerias in the "Taco Triangle". That's unfair. Of course food will be cheaper at a hole in the wall. I would love to know of a sit down restaurant with excellent service (as found at La Unica and not mentioned by Nate) with as good or better authentic tacos and lower prices. (And please don't suggest Amandas Fonda. It's cheaper but not the same style at all.)

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home