Monday, May 14, 2007

The new Jose

Jose Muldoons reopened Friday, after a two-month remodel. It looks very cool. Although I've never been a fan of the faux cracked stucco Mexican restaurant cliche, which is now used in the front room, the back rooms are much more open and bright, with fireplaces everywhere and a beautifully expanded patio.

It will continue to rock at happy hour.

My issue with Jose's has been one of value. You go for lunch, you spend over $10, and I've usually felt I could get better lunches for under $7 at Salsa Latina or El Taco Rey.

But there may be indications that the food has been upgraded as well. Gazette food editor Teresa Farney had a mango chicken salad that was dynamite. I had a chimi, smothered with green chili, and it was better than I'd remembered last time I ate here.

I'm interested to see what Nate, our critic thinks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Jose's space to be cold and impersonal. It looks like their main concern in the redesign was squeezing in more people. And the taco plate was just the same - but smaller. Less beans, and I had to send the tacos back because they contained about 1 teaspoon of ground beef each. Bring back the dingy Jose's, I say.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home